Wide-ranging experience in both senior marketing management and line-level roles allows me to match strategic business goals with the appropriate creative, process and leadership activities. My deep involvement in both the creative and analytical sides of marketing helps me to apply tools from each discipline more effectively, bringing them together for the greatest possible impact.
Manager of Branding and Creative Services
OCLC Online Computer Library Center. Dublin, OH
April 2005 – Present
- Responsible for the creative development and roll-out of marketing materials for a worldwide cooperative of more than 41,000 libraries in 112 countries, including original writing and design, event materials, print advertising, direct mail, merchandising, sales support, print-on-demand, public relations materials and print collateral.
- Management of a staff of project managers, writers, art directors and translators.
- Creation and implementation of online materials and communities, including social media (blogs, wikis, Twitter), research papers, training and marketing materials for member libraries, event and PR media.
- Development of marketing processes, tools and systems to support internal and external customers and partners.
- Brand development and maintenance, including strategic development of brand materials, guidelines, and templates.
- Writing, brainstorming, project management and personal design involvement on many high-level marketing projects.
Director of Business Development
Vorys, Sater, Seymour and Pease LLP. Columbus, OH
August 2001 – April 2004
- Chief-Marketing-Officer with responsibility for all aspects of marketing and sales support for a 360+ attorney law practice across six offices in Ohio, Washington, DC and Virginia.
- Improved overall marketing effectiveness by bringing standard marketing practices into the law firm setting.
- Created and implemented all marketing strategies; managed all hiring and staff issues; managed outside advertising and PR agencies; created and monitored firmwide budget; planned and executed media, advertising, merchandising and collateral strategies; managed seminar and event planning; created and implemented Internet programs.
- Introduced Total Quality Management processes for marketing and development projects.
- Researched and created knowledge management system/function to centralize the acquisition, access and reliability of referral, attorney, practice and involvement information.
Marketing Communications Manager
Verizon Wireless, April 2000 – August 2001
Formerly AirTouch Cellular, formerly Cellular One. Dublin, OH
Total time at Verizon, et al: May 1992 – August 2001
- Managed staff, planning, budget and execution for a $29 million marketing communications budget including TV, radio, print, merchandising and direct marketing.
- Developed/implemented business cases and project plans for improvements to baseline media strategy; examples include direct response TV, group advertising for agents and suburban print tactics.
- Managed vendor/agency relations and selection for advertising, media, agent coop, print and direct mail.
Advertising Manager for Merchandising & Internet
February 1998 – April 2000
- Managed staff, planning, agencies and execution for a $4 million merchandising, collateral, Internet marketing and customer communications budget for AirTouch Eastern Region (Ohio, Michigan and Georgia).
- Regional coordinator for initial set-up of Internet advertising and fulfillment functions.
- Coordinated Internet advertising purchases, online/email campaigns and regional site content.
- Responsible for planning and roll-out of seasonal, promotional and brand merchandising.
October 1994 – February 1998
- Managed a $1.5 million budget for a library of 80+ pieces of printed collateral for 1,000+ locations.
- Responsible for planning and managing all aspects of a $2 million customer communications budget.
- Responsible for loyalty program communications strategy and design.
- Managed, designed and produced direct mail, bill inserts/messages, on-holds, POP displays, and brochures for a 3 million+ customer base. Bought print and art, coordinated data requirements with all relevant departments.
May 1992 – October 1994
- Designed company-wide format and maintenance system for documentation library. Wrote, published and maintained operational, reference, sales and training documents.
- Created automated letter-writing system, reducing administrative time requirement for customer letter generation from 5+ minutes to less than one minute.
Boston, MA and Columbus, OH
Marketing and Information Technologies
July 1988 – Present
- Founded “Sanestorm Marketing” in April of 2004 to provide professional services marketing consulting to law, accounting, engineering and CPA firms. Wrote and published articles in various print and online marketing journals to promote consultancy. Developed and taught seminars related to industry-specific marketing issues.
- Provided marketing strategy, writing, design and technology services to a wide variety of clients, such as the New England Deaconess Hospital, AEP, Victoria’s Secret, eGovNet, Smart Bill Inc., Binary Research, Humanex, Principessa, Zsigo Wireless Consultants and Acapella Media.
- Taught “Marketing for Designers” and “History of Advertising” as an Adjunct Professor of Marketing at the Columbus College of Art and Design (CCAD) from January 2003 through the present.
Education, Awards and Skills
Cornell University • Bachelor of Arts • Major in Writing and English Literature
- Experienced in: high-level strategic planning based on organizational goals; development of marketing and advertising campaigns; brand systems; the creation, use and training of Total Quality management tools; determining key metrics for the establishment of Balanced Scorecard criteria; the design and use of Knowledge Management systems.
- Experienced in the research, deployment and sustainment of social networking tools such as blogs, wikis, Facebook, Twitter, etc. as well as online community development and maintenance.
- Co-author of, “Sharing, Privacy and Trust in Our Networked World” (2007), a book-length research report on the use of social networking and social media among librarians and the general population.
- Winner of Cellular One “Customer Service Excellence Award,” 1995; AirTouch “Marketing Achievement Award,” 1995, 1997, 1998, 1999, 2000; AirTouch Team Excellence and Quality Performance Review Awards, 1998 and 1999; OCLC “Spotlight” Award, 2005 and 2010 and the OCLC “President’s Award,” 2007.
- Expert with many leading marketing software products, including InDesign, Quark Xpress, Photoshop, Illustrator, Acrobat, MS Word, Excel, Visio and Powerpoint.