The following represent some of the projects and programs I’ve designed, managed and/or implemented during the course of my career. In marketing, it is often difficult to tie specific results to individual programs. That makes doing so not less, but more important. Even though results-based marketing is often complex, the alternative – proceeding without a clear idea of what has succeeded and what has failed – is not acceptable.
That which is not measured cannot be improved.
For OCLC (Online Computer Library Center)
- Grew readership of company’s flagship magazine NextSpace by 30% in my first year as managing editor.
- Created company Twitter presence and grew follower base to nearly 5,000 in a little over two years.
- Created, promoted and managed the most successful online symposium series in company history, generating more than 3,000 registrations for initial event.
- Created and tested in-library merchandising campaign to drive use of online reference items. Results: an average 300% increase in materials budget ROI for participating libraries.
- Managed worldwide re-branding for all company marketing materials on-time and under budget, including new logo development and collateral material redesign.
For Sanestorm Marketing
- Created one of the first legal marketing blogs in the industry. Within 6 weeks, blog went from an unknown to an average of 200 readers per day, with highs of 500 readers for some articles. Blog was consistently in the top 10 results on Google, Yahoo and MSN for the search term “legal marketing”
For Vorys, Sater, Seymour and Pease LLP
- Media plan review and adjustment, including adoption of a year-long media calendar, up-front commitments and identification of key media partners. Leveraged an additional advertising expense of 15% into approximately 40% greater media exposure.
- Redesign of advertising, website and collateral materials. New design quality and consistency better communicates firm’s brand across multiple types of media and to multiple audiences.
- Adoption of “zero base” budget system with analysis by firm, office, month and GL account. Easy and accurate planning, tracking and evaluation of all marketing expenses led to significant cost savings in several areas.
- Consistent evaluation of sponsorship, listing and media opportunities. Saved over $100,000 annually by identifying previous expenses that did not provide adequate value or appropriate fit.
- Trained marketing personnel in project planning and tracking systems. Smooth and orderly functioning of projects and events saved money and attorney time and better projected firm’s image.
- Launched and maintained firm-wide knowledge management function within the marketing department. Reduced time necessary for referral requests from an average of three days to less than 6 hours. Generated opportunity-cost savings of over $300,000 per year in attorney time.
- Led effort to develop an internal business and professional development training program for associates. Provided timeline, costs, curricula, project plans and blueprints for the provision of training for more than 100 associates.
- Launched recruiting advertising campaign. Tripled traffic to recruiting pages on firm website in the periods of time directly after advertising launches.
- Led effort to switch internal firm communications from paper to electronic distribution. Saved over $40,000 annually in supplies and personnel time.
- Implemented precise tracking and management procedures for use of firm sponsored sports and entertainment resources. Unused opportunities for ticket use fell from 20% to less than 5%.
- Internalized the design, creation and implementation of new associate announcements. Saved over $25,000 per year and improved the turn-around time and visual quality of the finished pieces.
- Cost-justified, defined and established the firm’s first dedicated, in-house audio/visual position and function. Improved A/V resources available to attorneys and saved time and money by consolidating the function.
For Verizon Wireless
- Designed and directed Ohio region’s first direct television marketing program. Doubled telemarketing sales in those markets with direct TV exposure.
- Researched and implemented a centralized management and distribution structure for indirect channel’s use of marketing funds, content and materials. Saved $2 million annually while maintaining indirect channel satisfaction and sales results.
- Managed all marketing elements of brand change from AirTouch to Verizon for Ohio, Michigan and Georgia. Time-to-market for new materials in Ohio, Michigan and Georgia was, on average, half that of other regions.
- Combined direct marketing efforts of 15 states (5 regions) into one area-wide function. Generated cost savings of more than $2 million annually through leverage of increased scale.
- Coordinated initial research, design and roll-out of Eastern Region’s first Internet advertising and fulfillment campaign. Cost per acquisition through Internet channel in Eastern Region was approximately 1/3 of that in other regions.
- Initiated, directed and coordinated bulk-purchase of industry and company-specific stock photography. Saved more than $500,000 annually over the projected cost of purchasing photography on a project-by-project basis.
- Initiated use of modular merchandising system for use in company-owned stores. Enabled all stores to prioritize merchandising based on size and message.
- Internalized design, writing, print-buying and distribution of printed materials. Saved more than 25% ($500,000/yr) over vendor-managed system.
- Designed and managed industry-first, high-end “Customer Rewards” program. Reduced monthly churn among top customers by more than 20%.
- Initiated and managed direct mail trial programs for major new initiatives. Improved response rate and profitability of programs by creating and analyzing results of different offers, designs and discounts.
- Created a dedicated direct marketing production function for the support of sales locations and telemarketing center. Ohio region was consistently in the top 3 of Verizon’s 28 regions in metrics related to direct marketing effectiveness.
- Created internal document management system. Saved $200,000/year over cost of external, vendor managed system and reduced administrative time from 5+ minutes to less than one minute.
For Deaconess Hospital
- Researched, purchased, installed and trained staff on use of desktop publishing and in-house color plotting capabilities. Reduced cost of presentation graphs for medical conventions from $50/each to less than $1/each.